Thursday, September 3, 2009

This Post Is Brought To You By...

Okay, first things first...

The thing I forgot in the last post was my first English class and I don't know HOW I could ever have forgotten this "conversation".

We had to go around and say our names, and how far along in our degree programs we were and whatever the hell else we wanted to add. So the first girl goes and she says her name (which I've forgotten already) and goes through the rest of that rig-a-ma-role and gets to the most recent book she's read which dun dun DUN just so happens to be Twilight.

And I'm at the back of the room going "YES, I'm NOT the only dork in here" and then she goes on to praise Stephanie Meyer as being one of the greatest writers of all time..and my face dropped and I pretty much went WHAT THE FUCK. The girl sitting to my right inched away from me, I swear.

And Retzlaff, let's face it, she's a little gullible, especially with the way this girl is going on and on and on and ON about how wonderful it is.

So I'm back there formulating how I'm going to set Retzlaff straight, because I love her and no one should be mislead like that. I'll admit Twilight is great for YA but seriously? Retlaff is someone who sits and reads Anne Bradstreet, and Austen, and Agatha Christie because she WANTS to. She likes that kind of thing and we're very similar in that sense.

So, it gets to my turn and I go through the motions and because I took WST101 with Kay and she remembers me (as the shy little lurker in the background with...oh how did she put it?... A "brilliant" mind..yeah, that's right I'm brilliant...thank you so much for noticing Kay) we were joking around and having fun and she was very interested to learn about how I wanted to pursue an education in Women's Studies with a focus on the literature.

And then I dropped the bomb...yes, the bomb that I TOO had read Twilight. Well..needless to say me and this other girl got all up in each others business debating Stephanie Meyers prowess as a writer. It got a little gory, I'll admit.

I like Twilight, but only for the concept not the actual writing and this girl is sitting there and she's OLDER than me and she says that the CLASSICS have nothing on SMeyer and I got all pissy about it because nothing beats a good Bronte or Austen on a rainy day NOTHING. Eventually Retlaff broke us up but she was all intrigued and one girl offered to loan Kay her copies (turns out there were three other women in there who had read it).

Needless to say, it was weird. I don't think I've ever gotten into such a heated debate with someone even that time in 8th grade when Matt Macone and I were going back forth about the Holocaust and he made me cry. Yeah, it was worse than that.

Okay to fast forward past all that angst and into today's angst. If you follow me on Twitter (because it's all sorts of magical) then you probably got the tweet I posted after my Theatre class (Something along the lines of "One of my biggest pet peeves is when people are inconsiderate...").

I have two classes they both meet Tuesdays and Thursdays. If you knew me at the time of last fall when I first started college you know about the three-month puking thing. Long story short, I have really severe SEVERE anxiety to the point that I can make myself physically sick (in the case of last fall it was everyday for three months straight). It being the beginning of a new semester, I haven't thrown up yet but I do still get very very nauseous. So nauseous in fact, that I can't eat breakfast.

I've told you all that to tell you this,
I have my ENG102w class that meets from 10-11:20 and then I have my DRA110 class that meets from 11:30-12:50. I love my DRA professor. Batty is a little loony and if you just let him go off on his tangents he's a happy man. I do have respect for him because he knows what he's talking about just as I have had respect for all of my professors.

But what this kid did goes beyond disrespecting the professor, he disrespected the other seventeen students in that classroom.

Because I can't eat in the morning I have to wait until after my classes. Well, today was one of the days where they had a luncheon thing where you can meet the Student Government reps and my class is just down the hall from the lounge where they hold these meetings.

And they had pizza and it smelled GOOOOOOOD.

And we were all content to sit there and smell it and be hungry because we are good, diligent students.

Well...come noon, you can hear peoples stomachs grumbling but we all stayed and listened to Batty rant about poo-berty (because he pronounces puberty weird), all of us but one.

The kid behind me leaves the classroom comes back a few minutes later with two HUGE slices of pizza. I was pissed, Batty just looked surprised and everyone else was shooting him dirty looks.

He sits behind me and I hate it when I have people chewing in my ear so obviously I'm getting a little irked about it. Then he starts participating in the class discussion with his mouth FULL. He's spewing bits of food on the back of my neck and everyone is just sitting there watching him talk with his mouth full. I was actually having fun in my theatre class until that kid came back in with that paper plate.

Still, I got a couple good quotes from Batty which I will post for you now:

"We are a mean and horny race." -From our discussion on video games (I told you he gets off topic).

"The wonderful thing about censorship is that it always backfires"- From our discussion on censorship of Kurt Cobain songs over classic literature.


And now I have an unbelievable amount of homework to start on. Bright side of this, I have no classes tomorrow or Monday (because of Labor Day).

-EverybodyLovesAYeti(LikesTheWeekend)

P.S. Being inconsiderate is not the only thing pissing me off today. People need to stop being so fucking ignorant. For one, it makes YOU look stupid. Two, it makes ME hate you (and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only the one who's going to hate you). Three, it's getting SO fucking tired.

Learn about it before you go spouting off shit that's entirely presumptuous. Seriously, if there is one sure-fire way to look completely uneducated it's to say stupid shit like that. Stop.

0 comments:

Post a Comment